Monday, July 2, 2007

seven::two

Destruction is being wrought all over the face of the earth, but the lords of nations would not listen to the voice of Abraham. And so what then of the lords who use the name of the Lord, a name that by their actions they piss upon, sleeping in mansions while the Son of Man, unlike the bird and her nest, has no place to rest his head? God covers iniquities, he does not perpetuate them.

This morning I was surprised to find a cucumber growing in a crowded tire next to forming crooked-necked squash. This evening, I will eat a straight-necked squash. Water and soil lend to growth which leads to growth. Slow is the growth, as is God's anger, and so I can breathe deep a taste of life, a reminder of grace.

I do not have a view from the mountain top, above the cities of the planet, though I am here in hilly East Tennessee. Mainly, though, I simply read of the powers and taste of forgiveness. One day I may move to a place offering a different vantage point. But today I recognize that I do not rule over any lands, yet I must come to hold steady my heart, this sad little kingdom within, that the Spirit fortifies. And the lords of the earth have no place in this kingdom, nor I in theirs. But my heart might melt in love with yours, my brother or sister of land, and we can join together in finding that no-where place to rest our heads.

(Genesis 8:16-33, Psalm 103, Matthew 8:18-22)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.