Wednesday, June 20, 2007

six::twenty

What is happiness? It must be more than a smile or a feeling possessed. It must be more than a lack of sadness. Might sadness even accompany happiness in this life? Such would be so not because sadness is a foil or an opposite, for happiness is a mean, the middle way. No, true happiness is accompanied by sadness because happiness draws out mercy and kindness, and such virtues recognize when they are in the presence of someone lacking their movement. Happiness allows a person to be alone and content, for their inner-life is peaceful, even when sadness grips it. Happiness is ever aware of abundance and yet knows that it is entirely dependent on God. Happiness does not produce itself; it must be sown and harvested. The person who is happy will be content alone and among others, at all times living both inside and outside of their self. Happiness reflects the life of the Triune God, the super-abundant community of unified deity, three yet one, entirely at peace, flowing in a beautiful dance, complete in Itself yet overflowing into creative activity, even humanity.

Lord, I do desire to know your happiness, your joy. Yet, I sense that your happiness will be accompanied by a joyful sadness, a lifestyle of mercy. Help me to touch others with your love. Instill in me the ability to be at peace when I am alone and when I am in the company of your beloved humanity, a community from which I never part. Merciful God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, guide me into life, into happiness, into compassion, into the person I am meant to be.

(2 Corinthians 9:6-11, Psalm 112, Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful