Friday, June 15, 2007

six::fifteen


(The Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ)

Sacred heart, be the heart of my heart.
My parts, not yet entirely worn
since born, they have undergone
types of transformation.
Would I be able to number the changes?
O, heart, that you would be steadfast!
That you would listen to the calm
voice of care and love
and graceful guidance.

Heart of God, gathering heart,
shepherding heart, heart beyond nations,
beyond individuals and lover of people.
incomplete to be made whole.
Your heart sets tables,
invites all to a beautiful feast
in your home, lit no longer with candles
or spent energy, but the light of your heart,
a beacon, a beam, a sustained explosion of light.
And me, a guest?
Yes, and join me,
friends and unknown enemies made
a chorus and company of goodness
and virtue, an assembly of blessed hearts.

Deuteronomy 7:6-11, Psalm 103, 1 John 4:7-16, Matthew 11:25-30)

No comments: